- The Bird and the Bee on Morning Becomes Eclectic. A fantastic band, showcasing their latest album. While in my opinion, the last album was better, the last song, a cover of Hall and Oates' 'Sarah Smiles' is fantastic.
- Lex Land on Morning Becomes Eclectic. This female singer/songwriter has a fantastic voice. Somewhat Cat Power-esque, mixed with a little Regina Spektor. My personal favorite is "As Much As You Lead," a heartbreaking ballad.
- Lou Reed, Everywhere. Really. Lou Reed has been a heavy-hitter in the pop culture realm these days, and I'm certainly not complaining. Serving as the backdrop for everything from a religious epiphany (Big Love), to unrequited teenage love (Adventureland), Reed's tunes are, in my opinion, a welcome addition to any soundtrack.
- The 500 Days of Summer mix. The film doesn't come out until later this year, but the user-generated version of the soundtrack really gets me excited for the film. Maybe it's all The Smiths, maybe it's Feists' "Mushaboom," but this is sure to be a go-to summer soundtrack.
- This cover of Fleet Foxes' "Tiger Mountain Peasant Song." Listen to it. It may even be better than the original. Not too bad for 2 Swedish girls in the woods.
- The Dark Was the Night compilation. Fantastic. An indie rock 2008 yearbook. Bon Iver. Spoon. Feist. The Dirty Projectors. David Byrne. ENOUGH SAID.
- Phoenix- Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. Thanks to a friend, I got a copy of this album, and I haven't been able to stop listening to it all week. This song in particular. It proves to be another one in high summer rotation on my iPod.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
things i listened to that i love
So, I stole the title from the great Mindy Kaling. While my meager means don't allow me to actually buy things, the internet has provided me with an abundance of music with which to fill my time- with a fantastically nonexistent pricetag. Here are my recent highlights.